Why a Self Protection & Defense Event?
Spoiler Alert: I’m a woman. Have been my entire life. And in my life, I have been subject to a number of bad things. I won’t describe them here, I’ve made piece with the bad experience and am able to talk about some of the ‘not bad’ experiences. The thing about being a woman is, you are always operating on some low-level anxiety or vigilance against violence.
If you are a woman, you’ll probably understand. If you are a guy, you probably don’t have a clue. This isn’t a slight against the men, it is just something slightly beyond your comprehension. You’ve never looked at yourself in the mirror and thought, “Is this too provocative? Am I showing too much skin? Am I sending the wrong message?”
You’ve never been handed a drink and thought, “Has this been drugged?”
Chances are better than great you never felt that tickle of fear walking to your car at night and thought to yourself, “Am I safe?”
You’ve never rejected someone’s advances and had them turn ugly; shouting and a tingle of real fear that someone would get physically violent with you for saying no.
That just isn’t your world. But for a majority of women, it is. They read the above sentences and nodded their heads. Maybe flashed back to an experience (I know I did).
Here are some things to know (reference CDC)
- Nearly 1 in 5 (18.3%) women reported experiencing rape at some time in their lives
- Approximately 1 in 20 women experienced sexual violence other than rape in the 12 months prior to the survey
- Nationally representative survey of adults 37.4% of female rape victims were first raped between 18-24 years of age
- 42.2% of female rape victims were first before age 18
- 29% of female rape victims were first raped between the ages of 11 -17
These are the statistics about rape – not general violence against women.
The Feminine & Fierce: A Self-Protection and Defense Event is to show women what some their options are in regard to protecting themselves, their homes, and their families.
Learn more here: www.feminineandfierce.net